Almasy Mansion, Torokszentmiklos, for visiting in Hungary
Exploring Buildings In Hungary: Almasy Mansion, Törökszentmiklós
“This Eclectic mansion was built between 1860 and 1890. The wing running on a north-south axis was raised before the main building. The two are connected by a corridor with wooden columns. The mansion and its gardens can be entered through a double wrought iron gate by coaches and a single gate on foot.
To the left of the path leading to the mansion is the wing running on a north-south longitudinal axis that was begun around 1860. A single-storey building with a corner projection facing the gardens, the facade has a terrace in the middle. Its raised roof section is adorned by a lookout tower with a gallery, the roof of which resembles vernacular wooden belfries.
A banister once ran between the wooden columns of the veranda built on the facade along the courtyard. The mansion belongs to the architecture of Romantic summer residences, despite its symmetrical structure uncharacteristic of Romanticism.
Demonstrating neo-Renaissance and neo-Baroque features, the main building was probably erected between 1880 and 1890. The facade looking onto the gardens is enclosed with a protrusion at either end. The ground-floor sections of these projections protrude more, thus forming terraces with a balustrade and a banister.
The eastern wing adjoining the original mansion building is the result of a more recent construction phase. The architecture differs from both the north-south wing and the main building. A single-aisled chapel raised in 1901 joins the main building to the east. Built with an octagonal sanctuary, the single-nave chapel was later divided into two sections. The 14-hectare park belonging to the mansion was declared a nature reserve in 1980.
A stud of thoroughbred English horses operates next to the mansion and in 1998 a new equestrian sports wall painting was finished in the mansion salon. In the hall next door, an exhibition displays the trophies of the prize-winning horses and the medals of their riders.